Here is a look at David Selby who is standing as a Welsh Liberal Democrats candidate in Newtown Central and South in the upcoming 2022 local elections.
During the 2022 local elections, I am asking the same three questions to every candidate in order to inform your decision making on the 5th May 2022. The answers to the questions are not edited and are a direct copy of the replies given.
1.What made you stand to be a county councillor?
I originally stood in 2017 when I was elected for Newtown Central. My reasons then remain the same now: – I want to play my part in improving the town, and working for those who need assistance with Council related issues. Having spent five years as a Powys Councillor I believe I have the experience to offer more.
2. What are your top 3 priorities if elected?
- To work with residents to improve the area-including the road safety issues , the amount of litter and road and pavement repairs
- To change and improve Powys Council by working with my Liberal Democrat colleagues and others to remove the current Conservative and Independent Cabinet and create a new forward looking Cabinet
- To work for more affordable homes in the Newtown area and to give young people the best possible start in life through education and youth services.
3. Why should the voters in Newtown Central and South elect you?
I hope that I have proved that I am a hard-working Councillor. I have kept in touch with Newtown Central residents with regular newsletters, surveys and an active facebook information page. I have held weekly advice surgeries in town open to all. If elected, I would extend this service to the electors of Newtown South.
I also have a clear view of the many issues that need to be tackled around the estates in particular. I believe I have the energy and experience to work with residents to tackle these along with my colleague Kelly Healy is standing with me.